Tips & Ideas for Healthy Holiday Snacking
Cookies and cakes and pies, oh my! The holiday season is a whirlwind of sugary sweets and with kids home from school, it is even harder to keep little hands our of the cookie jar. For those afternoon eats and holiday get-togethers, we have five healthy yet festive snack ideas!
1. Red and Green apple slices paired with peanut butter or plain yogurt with honey make for a healthy dose of festive fun.
2. Whole grain and wheat bread is the perfect coloring for a reindeer sandwich or french toast. Simply cut out a large circle for the face and use the crust as antlers. Berries, both blue and red, make cute little eyes and red Rudolph noses.
3. Nuts, from peanuts and cashews, to almonds and pecans are a crunchy and filling snack that’s both good and good for you! Toss with raisins, mini pretzels, dried cranberries, and mini red and green M&Ms for a holiday trail mix, great for traveling!
4. Pair your favorite fruits and vegetables in seasonal colors for a yummy yet healthy snack – kiwi and strawberries, tomatoes and cucumbers, cherries with bananas and green apples – the combinations are endless!
5. Let kids construct a mini snowman before they chomp down with water crackers (body), baby carrots (nose), and pretzel sticks (arms). Get creative with the rest – black olives for buttons, cheddar cheese for a scarf, you name it!
What are some of your favorite healthy snacks for kids during the holidays?